« Home | The Constant Gardener (2005) - Review » | Out of Time (2003) » | Brick (2005)- Trailer » | Donnie Darko (2001) - Clips » | Fight Club (1999) - Music Video » | The Deer Hunter (1978) - Review » | Lil' Pimp (2005) » | Nacho Libre (2006) - Review » | 5 Classic Movies You Should See » | Man on Fire (2004) - Review »

Movie Wrap-Up

Hey, I've been really busy lately, so I haven't had a chance to update my blog for a while. Despite this, I've still been watching a lot of movies, so I'll give you a quick overview of some of the more interesting ones.

Superman Returns (2006)

Despite having read many negative reviews for this film, I enjoyed it quite a bit. There were some shortcomings to the movie (there should have been far more action scenes...come on its a superhero movie) but overall it was definitely worth seeing in a theater. Maybe it helped that I saw it in the world's greatest movie theater. Another minor complaints were that Lex Luther was a far too likeable villian; I kept rooting for him instead of hating him. Also I didn't like how the film downplayed superman's patriotism. In this movie Superman just stands for truth and justice...not truth, justice, and the American way. I saw the version of the movie with select scenes in 3D, and although some might find this gimmicky, I think that it added to the experience.

Film Filter Rating: 2.5 / 4

American Pie Presents Band Camp (2005)

In my opinion, gross out comedies such as the American Pie series cannot be critiqued the same way as other films. Of course they're going to be vulgur, and filled with lowbrowwhat gimmicks. Thats makes them fun to watch. So, if one approaches Band Camp with that mindset, it's very funny and enjoyable. I thought it was interesting to see an American Pie movie without the usual actors, and Tad Hilgenbrink did a great job of making the audience believe he was Stiffler's brother (he even perfected Stiffler's sneer). The movie is very formulaic, and is basically the exact same movie that you've seen in all the other American Pie movies, but it was still worth viewing if you need to unwind.

Film Filter Rating: 1.5 / 4

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982)

This film is Steve Martin's parody of all the 40's film noir flicks, and I must say that it is excellent. Although the movie was made in the '82 it was filmed in black and white, and Martin splices in scenes from the films that he is parodying. Because of this he co-stars with the likes of Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, etc. This effect was done so well that I didn't realize at first that Martin was conversing with long dead actors; my brother had to point it out to me. The plot to the movie makes no sense at all (Martin is a private eye investigating the death of a cheesemaker) but the film is hilarious.

Film Filter Rating: 3 / 4

Flightplan (2005)

This movie stunk. I didn't want to see it in the first place, but for some reason my dad had his heart set on watching it, so I joined in. The plot of the film is boring, and you can see most of the twists coming from a mile away. Also, Jodie Foster's character Kyle (her role was written for Sean Penn, but when she got it they kept the name) is so annoying that I actually yelled at the tv. Finally, if you look back at the film's events after you learn the final twist, you'll realize that there is no possible way that they could have occured the way they did. Instead feeling fufilled when all the pieces come together, this movie makes you glad that it is over.

Film Filter Rating: 1 / 4

Jacob's Ladder (1990)

This is another movie that I've ruined for myself by going into it with too high expectations. There is nothing wrong with this movie; it is a great thiller that really makes you question Jacob's reality. Despite this, I felt like the film fell short. I had read so many different reviews of how creepy the film was, and was looking forward to seeing the fast-head spasms of the hallucinations, something that I had heard a great deal about. Jacob's Ladder delivered what everyone said it would, I had just envisioned it being...well, better somehow. Another complaint is that while at the time I'm sure the I'm-already-dead ending was a suprise to audiences, now the ending has become somewhat of a cliche. This movie still warrants a rental, and its influence has been seen in several other movies, as well as the Silent Hill video game series.

Film Filter Rating: 2 /4

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

Featured on this blog are movie trailers, video clips, as well as still images from many different films. Any content downloaded by users is for evalutation purposes only. Movie trailers and clips are to be viewed, and then erased within 24 hours. Film Filter accepts no responsibility for the actions of its users. If any problems arise, or if you wish for certain content to be removed please email me at livewire05@gmail.com.

Spoiler Warning

The articles on this blog may give away scenes and endings of movies.

Links